Everyone likes to be a pirate. Even those who think they don’t merely need to release their inner-pirate, buckle their swashes and yo-ho with a bottle of (non-alcoholic) rum.
If you’re having a Pirate Party there are certain things you’ll first need to know:
1. Pirates believed that whistling would bring a storm. Quite why, no-one knows, but most likely because they were poorly educated, superstitious and gullible.
2. Pirates believed that wearing ear-rings would give them better eyesight. This may have some scientific basis. (Not really! It’s utter tosh.)
3. Pirates did not eat a balanced diet (in common with most sailors of the day). The eye patches that sailors wore are more likely the cause of rickets (which eventually leads to blindness) than any battle scar.
4. Pirates were usually illiterate, so not only would they mark X as the spot for treasure, they’d mark X for just about anything. But since they didn’t expect to live long, they rarely buried treasure.
5. Pirates really did fly the jolly roger and keep parrots as pets. Some even had peg-legs, and because many were from the west country they even spoke like pirates too, which is most satisfactory.
6. They weren’t very nice in any way. Really. And, undoubtedly, they smelled awful.
We also have brand new ranges of Cars 2 and In The Night Garden partyware, both of which have limited stock right now. We’ll have more to say on these two soon, but please do order now before it runs out.
We do like to hear from our customers if there is anything we can help you with. We’re here during office hours on 01572 748 609.